Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake lockup problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Feb 8, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My k5 has a nasty habit of randomly locking up the right rear tire. It doesn't happen over say 25mph thankfully but even at 25 on a wet road you go pretty well sideways and towards the nearest curb. It usually only happens right after the truck has sat for a couple hours and is pretty well cooled down. Backing down my driveway or leaving school goin down a hill it does it. Its worst on rainy days when its easier to lose traction. The thing I don't get is I would think this would be the worst set of brakes on the truck. I mean I have power braked the piss out of it a couple times and well only the right rear spins. I have thought that maybe its down to the rivots in the pad and its just gripping the drum but it started fairly shortly after I did a complete 4 wheel brake job. Adjuster was set just a little past where the drum fit on. brand new drums about 2000 miles ago.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

do you have the long and short pads in hte correct location?

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Got a leaky axle tube seal or wheel cylinder?

I've been having the same problem when I first start the day... but I know mine's frozen water in the drum.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm willing to bet you've got a contaminated rear brake shoe- from either a leaky axle seal or a leaky wheel cylinder. When the shoe absorbs oil-based liquids it will expand......

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, pull the drum on that side and check for gear lube in the brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You would think that the brakes wouldn't work at all with lube on them, but instead it makes them grab hard. If this is the problem, you'll need to replace the bad seal then clean everything with brake cleaner and most likely replace the shoes. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I need to pull it off and check that brake setup but I don't know I'm lazy when it comes to doing the little 10 minute jobs. Leaking axel seals I don't know. My rear is wierd. It leaks out the pinion always has but whenever I check the oil level its at the same spot. Its been leaking for like the past year since I got it. Its funny cause it leaks out and hits the yoke and flies all over the exhaust and undercarriage. Prolly creates some of the many wonderful odors. Oh well gonna get a 14 bolt and lose the 10 bolt.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It *sounds* like you are saying the brake is sticky basically only when you first apply it in the morning for instance? I know what you mean, if the ground is the least bit slippery, you go from no braking to the wheel completely stopped.

If that's it, it is NOT contaminated pads. Contaminated pads get WORSE the more you use the brakes as the shoes swell from the additional heat.

I haven't really messed with mine yet, as I know once it locks up one time, I'm good for the rest of the day, so I just get it out of the way right off the bat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Disks should cure that problem.