Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Master Cyclinder Problems again!!! HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I have changed out my Master cyclinder for a reman one from advance auto 2 times and gonna have to do it again. I also changed out the Booster because I was having a vaccume leak and the brakes were not functioning properly. Has anyone swapped out the brake booster and had to adjust the length of the shaft that activates the M/C?? I am wondering if this is causeing my M/C to fail. The pedal is solid but it's like there is no brake pads on the truck and the front is the only thing stopping it. Getting worse day by day and now when i mash it hard I can hear a whistle coming from the Booster/mastercylinder. I need to be able to stop before the bad weather gets here. Any info will be helpful, Thanks ahead of time. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Mudbug1979

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have changed quite a few M/C's and boosters over time and have yet had to adjust the rod. IIRC the little paper packet that comes with a M/C has directions on how to do this /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Mudbug1979

Why does the MC continue to fail? Feels like it has almost no stopping power. It feels like there is no fluid in the line, not like an air bubble almost like I'm only using the front brakes to stop the truck. The rears are adjusted fine it's almost like they are not working at all.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Are you bench bleeding it before you install and if so, are you doing it properly so that you don't ruin the seals inside? Does it show any signs of leaking after the new one fails or does it just stop working?

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have good luck with good used boosters off parts trucks, i think you would too, nothing wrong with good used as far as parts other than hydraulics go, unless you have a way to inspect them internally for rust,wear, corrosion, etc.

you should not have to adjust anything with booster rods adn such, everythign should bolt ona nd be good to go if you are simply replacing stock with stock

auto zone is notorious for mixing up part numbers and applications

good luck

7. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

when you bleed the brakes , do you get fluid at each corner ? if not sounds like a poportioning valve problem,
    also i have not bought anything at Advanced auto parts, but Oreilys is not a place to but parts that have any moving parts, i have had no luck at all with water pumps , master cylinders.alt,str's , go to napa and buy a good one and then check the rest of the system out ,

also a hard petal may be the rear wheel cylnders are locked up .