Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake master cylinder, which one should I get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81jimmyslt, Apr 12, 2004.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Ok guys Just noticed my rear seal on my brake master cylinder is starting to leak.

I just upgraded to 1 ton axles and will put rear disks in some day.

Should I buy a 1 ton M.C.? I assume so from searching it will have a larger bore and a stiffer pedal feel.

Which 1 ton application will fit my 81' Jimmy?

thanks
    Jesse

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Good ? I was searching and found the same stuff. I have just enough brake to stop. TTT hope we get an answer.

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

OK, guess I get to answer this one, I went from a stock cylinder to a 1-ton bcak to 3/4 ton, the one ton was too much bore, had to really press the pedal hard. The 3/4 ton is the ticket, has a bigger bore for more fluid, but not too much, I am running a m/c from a 79 K20 on mine, the lines connections are backward, but with some slight bending you can make them swap positions /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Did you swap out the booster and the M/C or just the M/C? Is the booster for the 3/4 and 1 tons bigger? How about a 1 ton booster with a 3/4 ton M/C? Doing the swap myself now.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm looking for a Corvette non-power cylinder. I don't want vaccum or hydro assist.

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I just swapped cylinders, the boosters are the same for the 3/4's, the 1-tons need a spacer behind the plunger on the cylinder, just used a piece of tube cut to length /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I will get some part #'s at work tomorrow and post them /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

the no booster approach is in my opinion a mistake. u need all the help u can get to stop big heavy blazer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes 3/4 and 1 ton are same m/c but there are different piston bore sizes in m/c's just like there are in wheel cylinders,

bigger bore cylinders push/hold more fluid obviously, in which will then produce more force on the parts they are meant to move, its really pretty basic concept

a 3/4 ton booster and m/c setup would be plenty, and 1/2 ton are backwars from 3/4 and 1 ton setup as far as the m/c lines are concerned, the 1/2 ton front and rear lines are opposite positions from a 3/4 and 1 ton setup, front and rear lines are swapped around opposite between 1/2 and 3/4 - 1 ton

good luck

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking for a Corvette non-power cylinder. I don't want vaccum or hydro assist.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll regret that later, TRUST ME!!