Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake pad longevity

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CenTxk5blazer, Jul 22, 2003.

1. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

How often do most of ya'll replace your pads, front/rear? Does anyone have a problem with there rotors warping on them?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

57k on the s-blazer, original pads..
    155k on the yota..3rd set of pads..
    keep the rears adjusted properly and your pads will last longer and rotors wont warp as easily..

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

only got 20k out of my front pads. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I seldom get 20K out of a set of front pads. But then I've been told that my driving style is somewhat, uh, "agressive". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I haven't warped any of the big honkin' vented rotors. Those things are a pretty massive chunk of steel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Bad thing about those drilled slotted rotors is that you cannot turn them if they get warped. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

depends...

Highway - long time
    traffic - not long at all
    mud - even less

i know guys that trailer and mud their trucks.. they remove the rear brakes..... they basically do the disc brakes conversion... anotherwords.. remove rear drums too.. removes weight..... and they trailer them so that is ok... well i guess with 44's - 53's you can only trailer in NJ

7. CenTxk5blazer

So with larger tires on the DD, it will cause excessive wear on the system over time, right?

Maybe someone can answer this question for me. I seem to be getting air in the rear line. There is literaly no sign that I'm leaking fluid anywhere, but air is getting in the system. what can be causing this /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

I probably don't need this, just need to make a few adjustments to the system, but is there a heavy duty rotor on the market for these /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif's?

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I would bet your rear brake cylinders are bad. Mine did the same thing and there was no visible sign of leakage or anything, finally saw a tiny bit of fluid, took the drums off and both cylinders were shot.

9. CenTxk5blazer

I pulled the drums off already and didn't see any fluid anywhere. So it must be coming from somewhere else, I just can't figure out where.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

larger diameter tires equals harder longer distance needed to stop yep, although in most cases you probably wont notice much difference,

metallic pads last longer but wear rotor alot gfaster and make more heat also, soft cheap organic pads are lss heat and wear quicker but are alot better for rotors, i go with cheapy pads and just change mroe often, also the cheapies make alot more mess on your front wheels.
    but oh well, theres always tradeoffs with anything in life'