Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Pads Too THICK??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81jimmyslt, Feb 29, 2004.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I am finishing up before the install and I was puting the brakes together. I got new trustop brake pads for the d60 from NAPA. The problem is the new pads have more ceramic surface (they are thicker) than the old ones. I figure it's just because they are new.

Well the pads and caliper wont fit over the rotor, they are too thick. I tried an old outer pad that was thinner and it fit over fine. The other side is even tighter.

How do I fix my pads properly? What am I doing wrong? should I buy new pads (thinner ones from Autozone maybe?)???

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

For a link to pictures of my 1 ton swap click here My Truck

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you push the caliper piston in all the way?

3. 81jimmyslt

the only thing stopping the caliper and pad from fitting over the rotor is the ceramic pads are too thick. I'm puzzled /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

ceramic pads are thicker? if you've pushed the caliper piston all the way back and it wont fit, return the pads for a set that will. I'd check to make sure the semi-metallics are thinner at Napa before you leave.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 81jimmyslt

I guess I didn't get the caliper piston in all the way. Whats the best method for this I was just reading about using a c-clamp and a thin piece of wood. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

What dana 60 do you have? Is it a dodge or a chevy? Or do you have parts mixed and matched from both? Just wondering because the chevy rotors are 1.5" thick and the dodge ones are 1.25" thick. Thought maybe this is your problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 81jimmyslt

It's all chevy stuff and I bought pads for a k-30.

I'm really starting to think I need to push on the piston more....thanks for the help guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

On my 10B caliper I can push the piston in until it's flush with the rest of the caliper.

9. 81jimmyslt

There doesn't seem to be much room for play but I don't think it was plush. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

have fun with that those things suck to get back in

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've found that it's quick and easy to push the piston back in before removing the caliper. A good sized prybar can be wedged in there and used to force the caliper all the way open before you take it off the truck. It just makes it that much quicker to swap in new pads. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you do wait until after the caliper is off and use a C-clamp, you don't need a piece of wood. Just lay the one of the old pads across the piston and tighten up the C-clamp. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have found it easiest to just use the right little caliper piston tool that usually be bought at any local auto parts store for like $5-10. Makes the job real easy... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You also might try loosening the bleeder valve on the caliper. Makes less pressure resistance when tryin to make the piston go out. Also I just ran into an issue where I had to make the piston go back in by beatin on it a bit. Nuthin to radical but it was like the piston was stuck. Good luck to y'all. Oh by the way, I use a big ole pair of channel locks to squeeze the piston back in the housin.

Allan

14. 81jimmyslt

right on guys thanks a lot another problem solved by CK5 speaking of get your votes in (did we win last month?)

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

glad you figured it out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif