Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake pedal problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JDBlazer454, Jul 15, 2003.

1. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

On my newly acquired 77 K20 I have a strange problem with the brake pedal. When you push it down to stop the pedal stays down. The truck stops fine but if you want to go again you have to put your toe under the pedal and pick it up off the floor. What would cause this? I was told by the p.o. that it was a brake pedal return spring but I wasn't aware of a return spring on a brake pedal. My husband is thinking a bad power booster or a master cylinder /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

btw....I feel like a complete idiot blonde even asking this /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm with your husband on this one. Master cylinder IMHO.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

that would be the master cylinder, bypassing and not allowing the pedal to return to top..

4. JDBlazer454

After thinking about it alot. I am with you on the master cylinder being bad. What made me think otherwise was the fact that it still stops fine. I will try it first figure for $20 its cheap and an easy fix. I'll let you know if it fixed it or if I opened a can of worms and got more problems. Thanks.

5. JDBlazer454

I got a different master cylinder on and voila the pedal comes right back up. I bought one for that specific truck and it wasn't the same. I had one off of the 71 caddy I used for parts and it was the same /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What some p.o. use for parts amaze me. Oh well saved me my $30 to put in the tank /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif