Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake problem (added symptom)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JIMs70K25, Jul 27, 2006.

1. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I think it's a bad booster, let's see what you all think:

At idle pedal is hard as a rock, moves but real hard and slow. After getting up to speed, brakes are fine, except after stopping when I start rolling forward slowly the pedal gets hard again. I don't have to pump the brakes. Can't find any leaks, I pulled the vacuum line from the booster and heard the rush of air, same with the vacuum canister on the firewall. Noticed something today, when the pedal is depressed at a stand still I can here a "hissing" sound. Also in park, running, pedal pushed my RPMs rise a little.

This is with my 89 burb. Thanks,

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  2. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Booster is no good.

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

yeah, but trying to find one is a pain in the butt. all 4 of the different chains(napa,autzone,advanced,carquest) in the area have to "order it", seems they are plentiful down south and out west. Just not in virginia.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I just threw away that whole setup, still on a 89 sub. I would have gladly sent it to you for the shipping costs.

I agree, its probably the booster, but check the vacuum line going to it for cracks first. Be sure to look at the check valveclosely too as they can cause leaks. Finally, the rubber adapter on the booster could be the source of a leak....but if you don't hear a hiss, then its probably not a vacuum leak.

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We had the same thing you're talking about occur on our 94 Suburban. I'd go ahead and order the part and drive the thing. We drove our for a couple of months before we sold it. Had a couple of harrowing emergency stops but as long as you pay attention and maintain a decent distance in front of you, you shouldn't have any issues.

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Fixed, Thanks!