Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Problem HELP please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Dec 7, 2003.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I had very soft and easy pedal after I swapped my 14 B in. Today I put on new wheel cylinders and new rear lines.(old one where shot.) We bleed all corners like 10 times, the pedal was very firm and was alot better after I turned the truck on. I drove it around the block and the pedal was good. So I started doing the drive in reverse to see how the brakes do.

Well after doing that I lost most of my pedal. It has gone back to the way it was. Brakes start stopping about a 1/2" from the floor and lock up when floored.

What can be wrong with them, I have racked my brain tring to figure this out. Could my master cylinder or power booster have taken a crap on me or what??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

All help is welcome, I just dont know what else to do besides put a new MC and PB in.

Thanks for all your help

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are the drums adjusted good?

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like the brakes either need adjusted or the adjusters were assembled wrong. Drum brakes need to adjust up to compensate for brake wear. I believe this is done by the adjusters every time you go in reverse although I have heard that it can also happen when the e-brake is applied.

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Ok I think I found out why my brakes suck, I was looking through my haynes amnual and saw I am missing some parts from my rear brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I am missing in order
    1. Parking brake strut
    2. Strut spring
    3. Actuator link
    4. Acutuator lever return spring
    5. Actuator lever
    6. Actuator spring

I wounder if me missing this stuff off my rear drums will account for my brake pedal problem.

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Sorry to say, but probably so!

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok I think I found out why my brakes suck, I was looking through my haynes amnual and saw I am missing some parts from my rear brakes.
    I am missing in order
    1. Parking brake strut
    2. Strut spring
    3. Actuator link
    4. Acutuator lever return spring
    5. Actuator lever
    6. Actuator spring

[/ QUOTE ]

That is "some parts"?
    What would "alot of parts" be?

Basically it looks like you have brakes that won't self adjust...which I guess makes my first post a good guess. You should still be able to drive it like that you will just have to adjust the drums all the time to keep the peddle high.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

also, sounds like your seals in the MC may be shot. they are like $11 plus core. cant really go wrong. just more peace of mind.

NITRO

8. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I am not driving my k5 till I get those parts replaced. mostly because of safty reasons. I should have by brakes fixed and my k5 on the road after the first of the year.