Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake problem...need input!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Mar 11, 2005.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Nov 8, 2001
    OKay just a bit of background:

To night I finished up installing a Willwood proportioning valve in my rear brake line! I also bent up some new brake lines on the rear axles. Anyhow, I decided since I was doing brake work, I might as well do some maintenance on the brake...I proceeded to pull all four calipers off and blast them with brake cleaner and then clean all the caliper hardware and grease everything back up. After that I bled the brakes. I gravity bled the rears and ran about 32oz of fluid through them. On the from D60 caliper, I picked up some of those speed-bleeders. I took advantage of the speed-bleeder and started pumping the pedal. After all the air seemed to be evacuated, so I tightened up the bleeders and took it for a spin!!

As I SLOWLY pulled out of the driveway, I noticed that the I had to pump the pedal many more times than normal for it to have any kinda "feel". But after about 2 min. of slow driving down my street, the pedal began to return to the top. It got better and better to the point that the brakes would stop the truck like they never have before and the pedal had returned to a much more acceptable position when applying the brakes The only thing I noticed is that it pulled to the right JUST A TAD. I then stopped and cranked the prop. vavle all the way out to see how much of a difference it makes. I then tried to power brake the truck.All that happened was the left front tire locked up and the whole truck just pushed it forward. I go back to the house and there is brake fluid EVERYWHERE on the left side. It was flung up all over the insde of the inner fender and all over the inside of the tire...

I know for sure the speed-bleeders were TIGHT. how could the fluid have leaked out. The brake line was never even taken off the caliper!!

Any ideas?

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

Sep 17, 2001
    i dont use speedbleeders. But first i would look into fixing the leak. Maybe you got the wrong size bleeder. Or the bleeder isn't seating on the inside.

I have looked at their site once, and read something about how some of their bleeders needed locktite.