Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Problem--Please Help!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72THING, Aug 18, 2002.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I just converted to rear disc brakes and put on a 3/4 ton master cylinder at the same time 'cause I have lots of fluid to move (D60 calipers in front and D44 calipers in rear). I know the brakes are bled good. When I tested out the brakes, the pedal is very firm, but there isn't that much stopping power. When on dirt, the rear end locks up first, but the front doesn't lock up at all. It slows down OK at highway speeds (55-60), but its hard as hell to press the pedal no matter what the speed. I know my booster is working , but could it be that I need a 3/4 ton booster (which is much larger)? I still have the 1/2 ton booster. Any help is appreciated.

Will

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I could be all wrong but here (and you may have gotten this already) but I think the 3/4 ton MC has the reserviors switched so you have to hookup the front brakes to the back reservior. Usually the front brakes have larger capacity and larger reservior so check that. Also I have heard others say you may need to press the button on the front of the prop valve to reset the balance switch.

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have the lines switched already, front brakes to rear reservoir, rear brakes to front reservoir. What do you mean by the button on the prop. valve? Are you talking right beside the MC, because I don't see a button on it. Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing. Thanks for your help.

Will