Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake problem; See if you can figure it out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dendeanda, May 10, 2005.

1. dendeanda

dendeanda Registered Member

I have an '85 350 K5. My brakes just became so sensative that when I barely press on them they lock up. This started when I went through just a little of water the other day. Before that the pads were squeeking just a little bit but nothing too major. What do you think it is?

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Brakes tend to get a little grabby when wet, especially drums. They may not be dried out yet. If you take a good trip with a bit of high speed braking it might go away.

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Does your brake light come on?

I have also had the same problem in the past , my brake light is on all the time and it will also start flashing in a sequence of four repeatedly.
    My91 has the ABS. system though.
    I have asked before but no one had an explanation for mine?

Any technicians or mechanics out there to assist us? :ears:

4. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

The brake shoes in the back may have gotten soaked with water and this will make them grabby. My brother has this same problem everytime the weather outside gets humid becaused he is using organic brake shoes and they absorb the moisture in the air making them grabby. If you have them in the front the same thing will happen till they dry out.

As for Big Jimmy 91:

All your blazer has is ABS brakes on the rear and by any chance the control is probaly bad but this will not affect the normal brake function. This was common on the older and the newer trucks of those years. On the trucks like yours you would have to buy a new controller and it is located just below the master cylinder. Most of trucks of that vintage that have come into the shop have had the wires disconnected from the module. The flashing light is giving you a code of what is wrong with the ABS system. So watch it and count how many flashes and let me know so that I can look it some time in the next couple of days. Hope this helps some.

bigred81

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you checked the brake fluid level?

6. big jimmy 91

Bigred81...
    The sequence of my brake problem goes like this

The brake light will come on and stay on until I disconect the battery for a min.

When I leave it alone and it comes on again (the light), for some unknown reason to me , it will start to flash four times in a row pause ,and continue to do this until I disconect the battery again (re-set's something??)

I don't know if this is a code 44 for the brake system? , or what it means

I don't mean to jump in on the original posters thread but I have also had this problem of the brakes getting so touchy that all you had to do was think about using them and you were locking up.
    The original is for an 85 , mine is a 91 , they are probably not the same at all but possibly my prob. is also his.

I would really appreciate it if you could look it up and let me know :thumb:

Thanks

7. dendeanda

dendeanda Registered Member

Well, it seems like my brakes were just wet. I checked the fluid and it was fine. I just had to ride the brakes a bit more to dry them out. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Dennis

8. big jimmy 91

Just wondering if you were able to find out about the codes? :grin: