Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, May 11, 2004.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

My front passenger brake caliper seems to be squeezing harder than the driver side for some reason.

A while ago, I noticed that I would get some major deathwobble at times when braking to a stop. I thought it was from hitting pot holes or something. I"m only running 33"s.

I checked my pads the other day and the passenger side is worn about 50% more than the driver side.

I rebleeded both front lines but it still has the same problem.

What else can I check?
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

sounds like caliper is sticking and it may have overheated rotor and caused it to warp. If it warped that would explain the DW.

3. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

The pass. rotor did look like it was kinda burnt or something. Had that rust color...
    so I guess there's no easy fix for it other than swapping the rotor right?
    I have 3/4 ton axles in my garage but I'm not sure when I can get them in... guess, I"ll have to wait till I install them.
    Thanks for the input!
    Anyone else?

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Replace the caliper, brake pads and either resurface the rotors, (both) or replace them as well, should cure the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

If you're running rubber brake lines (with some age on them), they can swell shut, allowing pressure into the caliper when depressing the brake pedal, but not allowing fluid to "back-out" when pedal is released, and release fluid pressure on caliper, therefore causing the pads to constantly have too much pressure on them.