Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nemesis_pyros, Sep 3, 2004.

1. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Ok so I just changed a siezed wheel cylinder on the rear drivers side and now after bleeding both sides I get a very soft pedal and spongey brakes. I dunno whats wrong I checked the fluid level and its fine but the brakes now suck and when I easily push the pedal to the floor the brake light comes on in the dash. Please Help I need to drive this thing tomorrow

p.s. I bled the brakes with one man on the pedal holding it down and another opening the bleeder then closing it and letting off the brake pedal and repeating till no air came out.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like you need to bleed it some more

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You need to replace the master. The brake light is telling you fluid is leaking somewhere, and if the leak isn't external, the ONLY place for fluid to "leak" is in the master cylinder.

Chalk this one up to bleeding a used master cylinder. Not your fault, only way to prevent it is to powerbleed, NOT use the pedal.

Exact symptoms I had after bleeding my used master cylinder, it actually lasted about 4 months before the light came on and I lost all brakes at one point, but the pedal was NEVER firm after trying to bleed it.

4. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I would gravity bleed the master cylinder and then bleed front and rear brakes calipers and wheel cylinders in sequence. RR, LR, RF, LF. Unless you have ABS or a diagonal split system then refer to your manual for the correct bleeding procedeure.

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would gravity bleed the master cylinder and then bleed front and rear brakes calipers and wheel cylinders in sequence. RR, LR, RF, LF. Unless you have ABS or a diagonal split system then refer to your manual for the correct bleeding procedeure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to bench bleed a master cylinder. Gravity bleeding isn't going to do it.