Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadCad, Aug 2, 2002.

1. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I'm experiencing an intermittent grinding sound from my front brakes under light braking pressure. I pulled the wheels and checked the outside surface of the rotors and pads and everything appeared all right. Before I go commando and tear everything apart, are there any other quick checks I can do to isolate the problem?

2. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

<font color="orange"> what you can try is sandpapering the roter and pads by hand of course and then spray brake cleaner on them to see if that helps just my .02 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

3. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I'm not expert but that sounds like it might be that little piece of sheet metal that connects to the break pad to indicate new pads needed soon. If this is it, eventually that grinding noise will keep sounding as you roll without tapping on the breaks. Just my .02...
    Or you might be missing one of those caliper bolt washers. The break caliper bolt should have a washer on each end to keep the bolt from having play.