Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Problems, Blue Smoke = Oil Leak??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xdelirious45x, Apr 9, 2004.

1. xdelirious45x

xdelirious45x Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Hello,
    I have a 1988 K5 Blazer with a 5.7L 350c.i.d. TBI.

My first problem,
    I want to change my brake rotors, but I heard it is a difficult job. I have automatic locking hubs which I understand makes the job a little more difficult. Does the truck have to be in 4 wheel drive first to take apart the hub? Secondly, I think they need new wheel bearings anyway, Would installing new wheel bearings be easy to do while I am changing the rotors? Would someone be able to give me a little step by step installing procedure, advice, or comments?

My second problem,
    Everytime I start my truck the exhaust puffs out blue smoke, I have heard many stories from bad valve guides, bad valve seals, blown head gaskets, and shot piston rings. The truck stops blowing out blue smoke after it warms up. I noticed when I changed my spark plugs, that they had oil deposits on them. I purchased new heads, which have had a valve job done to them about 20k miles ago. I was planning on installing it with a new intake manifold, and new throttle body. Could this cause a lack of power?? Does anyone have any advice or comments??

ALL RESPONSES ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you,
    Xdelirious45x@yahoo.com

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

1. Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. The rotors are pretty straight forward, park truck, jack it up, remove tire. Then remove the auto hubs, the autos should be pretty straight forward when you get them out, you will need a spindle nutsocket to remove the bearings/rotor. Use your socket to remove the first nut, there is a lock ring behind it that slides out, remove second nut. The rotor/bearing assembly should slide off the spindle at this point. The rotor is seperated by knocking ths lug studs backward through the bearing assembly, this is a good time to replace lug studs, I don't re-use mine. While you have got the bearing hub seperate from the rotor, you can remove the rear seal from the bearing assembly, the front bearing falls out and the rear will when the seal is removed. Get you some brake cleaner in a spray can and clean up the inside so you can see the races, knock the outer race out the front and the inner out the back. Knock your new races in, put your new rotors on and beat new lug studs back in. Pack your new bearings, place the inner in and the seal. Then all is left to do is slide the whole mess back on the spindle, once it is on and seated, put your outer bearing back in, install first nut, lock ring, and the other nut. then reassemble your auto hubs.

3. The smoke sounds like the usual GM, leaky valve seals, what happens is, when you park your truck the seals let a little oil to leak in on top of the piston, when you start it the piston burns the oil out. Just about ever SBC I have ever owned smokes on start up

I hope that helps you out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

3. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

I just swapped the rotors off my old 10 bolt on to a D44 and it wasn't that bad. Okiemuddog pretty much explained the process. The only thing I would add is to make sure you tork the lock ring and and nut to spec. Not sure what that is for an 88.

4. xdelirious45x

xdelirious45x Registered Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I HAVE CHANGED MY ROTORS WITH MUCH OF EASE! I APPRECIATE THE ADVISE.

ONE MORE QUESTION: WILL I PASS INSPECTION WITH THE EMISSIONS??

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

You should be able to pass emissions testing, I don't think oil consumption would come in to play here. Good luck, and welcome to CK5!!

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Glad to hear I could help out a new member /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    As for the emissions I don't know, we don't have them here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, that is why I can run dumped Flowmasters and no cats /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif