Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake problems... help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

84 full size. Stepped on the brakes today and the pedal was hard. Truck did stop but why the hard pedal I'm thinking?! On the power brake booster is a check valve. Connected to that is a rubber hose that goes to the rear of the carb. In between is another valve, a round size barrel shape about 4 inches in diameter and a few inches long with male fittings at each end, one fitting is "L" shaped. My question; is this valve a two way or one way valve? I can blow air through both ends and suck air through both ends. I'm thinking, why have a valve if air coes through both ends. So, is the valve bad? What about the check valve on the booster itself? One way?
    Or is the power booster given out!?

What is the name of the valve between the booster and the carb?
    What can I do to improvise until I get the correct parts?
    Thanks!

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

This post is unimportant. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That valve is suppose to be a 1 way valve

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I've always thought that when the booster goes bad there should be a kind of a vacuum leak/runnin water kind of a sound comin from what sounds like under the dash when the brake pedal is applied.
    As far as the valves are concerned could they be check valves to help protect the booster against back firin through the carb?? I really don't have a clue on that one.
    Anywhos good luck to ya in the future and solvin the prollem.

Allan

5. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Pull the fitting out of the booster, have a bud hold a thumb over the line & fire it up, if you have plenty of vaccum I'd say the diaphram in your boosters bad. When that happens it takes BOTH feet to stop.