Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Problems ...need some help please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by goblazeinco, Aug 14, 2003.

1. goblazeinco

goblazeinco Registered Member

First off I have front disk on a D44 and rear drum on a 14bFF from a '78 pickup on my '86 K5. I replaced the front calipers and master cylinder. I bench bled the master and bled the whole system. the pedal goes to the floor with the truck started but I have good pedal with the truck off. I have bled the system with 5 qts of fluid and get the same results!! You wouldn't think there is any air in the system after 5 qts. I get only clean fluid at every wheel..no air. What could possably be the cause of this? Any responses would be great.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

sounds like a booster problem /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

if you have pedal with the engine off..when you start it, pump the pedal and see if it comes up any while pumping..another thing to try is to see when you have no pedal, pressing hard? or soft??

4. goblazeinco

The booster worked fine before I swapped the master and front calipers. The pedal is soft when i am pushing either soft or hard...and it doesnt stiffen up at all when the truck is running...it does however when the truck is off.

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Usually if you have air in the system you will have problems getting the brake light on the dash to go off. Is your brake light on the dash working. To test it turn your ign. on with the parking brake off. do you have a light? Start the truck and the red brake light should go off. If it does not your system has air in it and the combination valve is not centered. Bleed the system and the light should go off, r rear, l rear, r front, l front, if the light is still on go to the right rear again and bleed it slowly until the light goes off. All the booster does is give you an assist on how hard it is to push the peddle. Hope this helps. Later slider

6. goblazeinco

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to try bleeding the CV like it talks about in the A-Tron rear disk article and see if that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif