Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Problems... no pressure when truck running

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by goblazeinco, Feb 13, 2004.

1. goblazeinco

goblazeinco Registered Member

I have an '86 K5 with power brakes. I recently replaced the master cylinder, front calipers and did the disk conversion on the 14bff rear. I used the Dana 44 disks and calipers on the rear.

My problem is that when the truck is off the pedal is very firm...but when I start the truck the pedal goes to the floor. Its not a bleeding problem...trust me ..I have bled the master and all the calipers to the tune of 4 quarts of fluid.

Does anyone have any better ideas than taking it to a shop?

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Might be a bad power booster

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'm thinkin ya got a bum master cylinder, i have had power boosters go bad, and when they did the pedal was harder than manual brakes. You said you installed a new master cylinder? where did you buy it at? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If your not getting any pressure, replace the master cylinder and you'll be golden /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. goblazeinco

goblazeinco Registered Member

The master is from Auto Zone. Thanks for the help guys, I will probably swap out the master again and see what happens. Once I get some pressure I can see if I need a proportioning valve for the larger rear brakes. I have read that some people need them and some people dont.

Well, thanks for the help.