Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5baby, Jan 4, 2006.

1. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

I was driving my 72 k5 blazer and my pedal will go to the floor when pressed and I have no brakes and my brake light in the dash came on. I checked for leaks in the lines and made sure there was brake fluid in the master cylinder. No leaks and plenty of fluid. Any suggestions of where else I need to look?:mad:

2. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Maybe your master cylinder is shot. Letting fluid go past the plunger and not into your lines. Do you have power brakes? If so your fluid might be going into your PB diaphram. Is it wet around you master cylinder area?

The reason you light came on I believe there is switch that activates when you pedal goes to far or there is an inbalance in you brake system.

Just a thought.

bob

3. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

It is power brakes. I haven't seen any fluid around the booster. I might try to pump my brake pedal alot and see if the fluid will seep out of there.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If there are no leaks in the system, it's almost certainly the master cylinder. That is the only place that pressure can "bleed" without an actual brake line leak.

Brake light is a good clue. When my master finally failed (had spongy brakes ever since I bled it) the pedal went to the floor, light came on, but if I pumped the pedal a couple of times I could get brake pressure back. New master, problem gone.

5. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

That's what I was thinking. Mainly because the sensor is on the mater cylinder the only two ways I would think that light would come on would be low fluid or a bad master cyl. It is a 72 the sensor can't be much more sophisticated than that.

6. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

ya that is definantly the master, thats the only place of a major pressure loss without any leaks

LUKE