Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Last summer I really broke my Jimmy. I put it in the garage, put in 3/4 ton axles, replaced the TH350 w/ a Sm465, 203, Echobit suspension, 38's, etc...
    Well, I finally got it back together and cant get the brakes to bleed. When I step on the pedal I hear a WHOOSH of air and then the pedal just bottoms out and the rear brakes lock up. Is this a Mastercyl problem, a power booster problem, or a problem w/ the actual brakes/seals? How do I troubleshoot to find the problem?

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I gotta ask. when you did the axel swap, did you use the 3/4 ton master cylinder? I know the calipers are the same size but the wheel cylinders are different sizes and require more fluid. But it sounds like you still have air somewhere in the lines. does it feel like the power assist is still working? if not, the brake pedal would be hard to push on, as though when truck is not running.

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    When I step on the pedal I hear a WHOOSH

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd that go again ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Like this... WHOOSH!
    The brake pedal is VERY easy to push, not hard at all. No, I didn't use the 3/4 ton mastercylinder. The parts truck was a 6cyl Isuzu diesel and it had the hydroboost brake system so I sold it all to the guy that bought the diesel motor. Maybe I need a new Mastercyl?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are you getting fluid out of all the bleeders? It sounds like you migh have ALOT of air in the lines...could also be your MC.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't think your problem is the master cylinder, Althugh i would get the 3/4 ton master on there. Many people have done this axel swap without changing the master, but I would change it and bleed the system agian. It still sounds like there is air in the lines.