Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Probs. on a '94 K1500

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 88sub4x4, Jun 10, 2006.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

My buddy called me up today saying his brake pedal was at the floor, and the red brake warning lamp is lit. He stopped by and I drove it. Felt as if there was a leak somewhere, so I checked the system out. No leaks anywhere. I even pulled the master away from the booster to check in there. I put the truck on the lift and had him drive it in 4WD and hit the brakes. The fronts worked fine, but I was still able to turn the rears by hand. They had a little drag when he was applying the brakes but not much. I figured the master must have gone bad so I installed a new, not reman, unit in it. Bench bled the master, installed it, then bled the whole truck from the farthest wheel to the closest. The fluid that was in the truck looked like dirty diesel oil, so I continued bleeding until everything came out clean. When bleeding I noticed that I would have to wait about a minute between bleeds at the rear wheels or I wouldn't get any fluid out. The fronts get fluid right away every time the bleeder is opened. Needless to say the pedal is still at the floor. The truck has RWAL so I bypassed the RWAL unit thinking maybe the dump or isolation solenoid was stuck, but there was no difference. I think it might be the proprtioning valve, but in 7 years as a tech I have only replaced one, and it was an electronic one on a Ford. I also though maybe the rear brake hose may be collapsing internally, but that usually keeps the rear brakes applied after releasing the pedal, or doesn't allow them to get fluid at all. Sorry this is so long winded, but I had to walk away from the truck after a few hours of getting nowhere. Any help is appreciated, so thanks in advance.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sure you dont have a leak behind the gas tank were thay love to rust out. :confused:

3. eclmech

eclmech Registered Member

Maybe the port at the bottom of the resevoir is gummed up and not allowing much/any fluid into the master? Or brake pedal not returning all the way to the top?

Keith

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I checked all the lines for leaks. The master came with a new reservior too. The brake pedal does return to it's proper place, and I checked the pushrod, and it seems to be fine. No freeplay from when you start pressing the pedal until the pushrod starts to push the master. The more I think of it the more I am leaning towards a restricted rear hose.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have seen my few share of pluged hoses. mostly the jap built chryler cars.

hose is cheep swap it out and try it.