Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Proportioning...... *Pics*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, May 12, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I think my brake proportioning is *way* out of wack for 2 reasons:
    1) When I slam on the brakes the rears lock up long before the fronts even think about it
    2) When I tried to do a brakestand in 4-lo (no front driveshaft at the time so 2-lo) I couldn't and instead this is what happened.....

The carnage

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is there a brake bias controller when you have drums or no? If so, does mine need replacing/fixing/cleaning.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ?

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

TTT- Nothin???

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I know exactly what you mean. On my truck, if I try to power brake it, the rears reallt try to stop everyhting, but if I stay with it, it will torque the truck enough to the right that it will lift quite a bit of weight off the front left tire and literally just push that tire.

Do you have stock axles?
    Stock brakes (disc/drum) or have you swapped in a disc/disc system?)

Chris

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

BTW, nice carnage...
    LOL

this is what happend when I did a 4,000rpm clutch drop with a big block and 37mtrs on a freshly paved street

[​IMG]

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cool!

That joint looked dry...it was on it's way out. If it didn't damage the drive shaft I wouldn't worry about it.

How much pads you got left on the front? Is the rotor under cut?
    Tried bleeding the fornts yet?
    What do the hoses on the front look like?
    How does the peddle feel?

Proportioning valve only effects the back brakes. Your problem is with the front brakes I think you will find.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I don't know how much I have left for pads yet but they haven't started squealing yet so a bit I guess? The hoses I think are fine and the pedal feels firm. Oh and yes, I do have the stock back axle with drums. So would it be in my best interest to replace the front pads? Are they fairly cheap? Or should I just not worry about it and don't do burnouts?

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...Proportioning valve only effects the back brakes....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry about the hack... so there is NO left to right bias at all with a stock proportioning valve? I've got new everything in my brake system (except for the rotors which were turned) and I still get the same pull to the left under braking that I got long before I lifted the truck. I was thinking something wasn't right in the proportioning valve.

9. Grim-Reaper

I would just go through the front brakes make sure they are bleed and in top working order before deciding the problem is in the back. The Combination valve is pretty simple and usualy not prone to failing.

www.inlinetub.com has ne Combination Valve but it is so rare that they fail that I would exhaust all other possibilities first.

10. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...Proportioning valve only effects the back brakes....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry about the hack... so there is NO left to right bias at all with a stock proportioning valve? I've got new everything in my brake system (except for the rotors which were turned) and I still get the same pull to the left under braking that I got long before I lifted the truck. I was thinking something wasn't right in the proportioning valve.

[/ QUOTE ]

It only controls front to rear bias. It will never cause a pull.
    Any brake pull is either hung calipers (most common), Misadjusted rear brakes (adjust till they drag)(second most common from adjustes hanging), air in lines or bad rubber lines.

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

If the prop. valve isn't likely to be failing then its probably air or one of the caliper slides is seized. The point is moot now since I'm saling off my 10b to make way for my new D60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm still getting the Wilwood to dail in the pressure for the rear disks though....

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

not meaning to hijack but Rustbuck where in Sask are you from? I recently moved to Swift.