Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake proportioning valve?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Apr 21, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

The top is off of my blazer now, and my rear brakes lock up under a slow stop down hill. How do I adjust the proportioning valve so that the brakes don't pass the threshold? and do I need to readjust them when I reinstall the top?

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

You can't adjust the proprtioning valve . Maybe you have a bad one to start and need to replace it?? You can buy valves aftermarket that do adjust.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

they sell whole proportioning valves that are adjustable. check the major spots like JCW , jegs and summit.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Is the valve self adjusting or is it at a set level? I'm not sure how it works, or what the benifits of having an adjustable one are.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

The stock ones i believe are preset and non adjustable.What it does is reduce the pressure to the rear due too the fact that the front does more braking then the rear.A adustable one will let you vary the pressure to the rear until you get it set so the rear doesn't lock up.But you don't want it set to much below the lock up point or you'll decrease your braking performance.Put one in after a rear disc swap too get it set up right.