Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake proportioning valve???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Sep 25, 2001.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

OK, sometimes when I get in the truck in the morning or next day after wheelin or if it get's cold.....after the truck sits a while I touch the brakes and the rear lock up...after a little while they will start working properly.....(only on gravel) does this sound like the VALVE?? and if you mash them hard at 50 or so they will pull to the right but if you stop slow they will stay strait?? why?? eveything is new as far as all hardware, except valve thx

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i'm not sure but i think the valve controls front to rear braking and if your rear is locken up real easy it could be that. if it is bend over and get ready cause bought one a year ago and it cost me somthin like $160 ouch.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pull the rear drums and look for a gear oil leak around the axle. That's the classic symptom of oil on the brake shoes. The only fix is to repair the leak, clean the drums and backing plates and then replace the brake shoes.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...