Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake pushrod adjustment?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88sub4x4, Mar 4, 2004.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 sub, 1/2 ton braking system. I was just wondering if the pushrod, the one that goes from the pedal through the booster to the master cyl, is adjustable, and if so how? When I step on the brakes the pedal goes halfway, and then starts braking. The truck has always done this, so I don't know if it's normal. The rears are adjusted properly, and I just put in a new master. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, shaun

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Tighten your rear brakes more.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My booster and master cylinder both came with some instructions on adjusting the length of the pushrod. You should look it up in a shop manual.

Are you sure there is no air in the lines? It sounds like you still need to do some bleading to me.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Yes, the push rod is adjustable. I works best if you cut the unthreaded part of the threaded sleeve off, then use a thin jam nut. Try a couple of threads at a time. This does work, I did it to my '87.

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I power bled it when i put the master in, and I re-bled it last night, no air came out. The rears are nice and tight, I will try to adjust the pushrod.
    Thanks everyone, shaun