Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I recently rebuilt the callipers on my 78. Before hand, it was pulling alot and when I took them apart they were very dirty. Thanks to the parts washer I got them nearly spotless inside. A few weeks later my truck started to pull when I hit the brakes again. (same direction) It only does it when i use light brake pressure, and it squeals alot. As soon as i put a little more foot into it the squeal gos away and it stops straight. I was thinking that maybe the slides got some stuff on them and are freezing up a bit on one side. (I think the new slide grease attracted too much dirt and debree) Do you think this would be enough to cause the problems I mentioned, or do you think I need to take the callipers apart again?

p.s. Neither roter is more glazed than the other. They are both look about the same.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Try power bleeding the brakes. Hook a MightyVac up to the bleeder, take the cap off the master cylinder and pull the brake fluid through with the MightyVac. Have someone keep the master cylinder full or stop periodically and refill it. This keeps the fluid moving through the lines and helps to flush out all the crude that has built up over the years. The chemicals that make up brake fluid are known to be hygroscopic (attracts and retains moisture). The moisture causes havoc in the metal brake lines and rust and such builds up. Bleed them this way until the fluid comes out clean. Also may want to try DOT 4 or 5 brake fluid which is supposed to be less sensitive to heat. As for the grease on the retaining bolts (also works as sliders) a small, minute amount of a synthetic base grease (purple color) is all that is required on them. Dont put too much on them.

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I put hardly any grease on the slide in the first place. The brake fluid does not look old, but god only knows whats in the lines. What is this MightyVac thing? Never heard of one. Also, I dont have alot of access to special shop tools, but I do have alot around the house. Is that vac something I can hook up to a air compressor or a wet dry shop vac?

sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Did you use solvent to cleen the inside of the caliper. Only use something that leaves no residue at all when cleening anything that has to do w/ brake fluid. I just use brake cleaner. The seals may have expanded in the caliper from the solvent. If that is the case the seals on both sides would need to be replaced.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust