Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cleszkie, Dec 16, 2001.

1. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Sorry about reviving this thread, but I have one other question about the combination valve in my K5. In the chassis manual it tells me to hold the metering pin in while bleeding the lines. There does not seem to be any resistance to pushing the pin in. In fact, the pin seems like it is always in the "in" position. It does however have some spring loading when I pull it out. How does the metering pin act on your rigs? The only reason I ask is that I am having difficulty getting a firm peddle now that I've replaced both my master cylinder and booster. Any help is appreciated.

2. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my truck. Traditionally you bleed your brakes starting at the furthest wheel. I found that with the 71/72 prop valve if there is too much air in the front or rear the other will not bleed well. Try opening all four and slowly pumping until you get fluid out of a couple wheels. Then go around bleeding each wheel once each time. Once you get most of the air out then bleed them traditionally. Make sure you bench bleed the master first. You can bench bleed it on the truck with one of those cheap bench bleeding kits from the auto parts store. Also: make sure your hoses are in good shape. Bad hoses can make your brakes pull or spongy.

Never said I could spell!
    '70 K-20 San Diego, CA

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    My combo valve is the same.Can barely push it in but can easily pull it out.I've about gave up on my brakes and have resorted to throwing out and anchor when I want to stop.Good luck

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

4. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

I too have hard brakes. Some of the things I have done are:
    1- Replaced the vaccuum booster (cause I could hear it leaking air)
    2- Replaced the check valve.
    3- Checked for crushed or pinched brake lines.

Everything is still hard but it's better than when I first started. Next thing for me to do is pull off the calipers to see if one or both are frozen. Hope this gives you somewhere to start.

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>