Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 7, 2002.

It seams like I have terrible luck with brakes anytime it involved breaking a line. The Burb had a bad caliper leaking bad so I replaced it with a rebuilt one a few days ago. For the life of me I can't get the damn thing to bleed out. It pulls so hard to the right now that it would mow down a stop sign or throw you in the ditch when you step on the brakes. WTF guy/gals? The brake sytstem was awesome before this leaky caliper.

1. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

More Info!!!
    Did you replace the side it's pulling to? the opposite side? Almost sounds like krud for fluid as well??

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

sounds like the caliper is stuck.mine did the same thing and i replaced it.all is good now.if you did a good job bleeding the caliper then maybe it is a bad rebuild.we had tons of bad rebuilds when i was in the army.sometimes you would try 3 or four times on one part to find a good one.thats what happens when you go to the lowest bidder i guess. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. I am guessing it is a bad rebuild and still letting air get in that side. There are no stucks calipers and all, everything is work good in that aspect of it.

4. The brakes were perfect until I came home one day and noticed brake fluid leaking on the inside of my left front tire. Bad caliper was what it was. When I drove it it pulled bad to the right(opposite side of bad caliper) and I figured because of the leak and air in that side. I put on a new/rebuilt caliper and blead it out good to where I thought I had all of the air out. Had a really tight pedal and still pulls to the right, the opposite side of the new caliper. Neither are stuck, no signs of leaks, No crud either !!

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

leak in the the caliper body itself? "O" ring? Banjo bolt/compression rings? (Hose??)...
    If it's pulling to one side, are the pads OK on the other side? (IE no grease/oil/solvent/brake fluid?)
    Will the 'pulling' side 'free-wheel' when off the ground? (hopefully it's not stuck/binding/locked).

6. It has no visible leak as in no fluid !!! New compression rings and the banjo bolt is good and line is not leaking. Pads have less than 5000 miles on them. Cleaned everything up good so no oil, grease, ect.. on anything !! Nothing is locked up !! The other three brakes are working perfectly, this one on the left front is just not doing it's job as in equal...same time pull. I can watch the caliper work fine when the pedal is pushed, but the right side catches first so it's like the front is equalling out. The proportioning valve is fine ! Like I said I had a perfect brake system before a bad caliper leak where the truck sat for a couple of weaks before I got to it. MAYBE A NEW OX LOXKED DANA 60 WITH 35 SPLINE OUTERS AND INNERS FRONT AXLE WOULD FIX IT !!!

7. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

sounds like you've covered all the bases. It's sounding like a bad or mis-matched caliper.
    BUT.. You may be on to something there with the D-60 as the fix! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. I just get so darn frustrated when a simple job ends up like this !! Makes me want to burn the truck to the ground. My other car is acting stupid too by overcharging, so I tried a new alternator and nope it wasn't that, so now I am trying the computer which is actually the "lean burner" or "spark control computer" on this 89 Chrysler 5th ave with a 318 and 2 bbl. Supposedly that was a big problem for them all !!! I am about to quit working on vehicles !!! I have just had some really crappy luck !!

9. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

What? I'm not the only one with those days? (ROFL)
    Like today.. Mamma's van.. speedo 'iffy' at best... so, i buy the sensor unit( they said 25-35).. for $50! Ok, so it sets in the kitchen for a week. Mid-Step daughter was to take the van tonight to see her squeeze... as he didn't have 'gas money' (i think $ussy delivery money, but that's a different story).... and after that battle... i get the van to change the sensor.. (all of a sudden he has gas $$??????).... but back to the story...
    So, pull the speedo sensor.. and voom! I hit oil! (or more appropriately, the oil hits me! No one said this was the low point in the tranny/transaxle and i'd get dunked like a cheap basketball!!!)...
    I've had them days repeatedly! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif but ya keep on pluggin! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Wish i had a different suggestion for ya! Burning sounds almost like an option, but double check the coverage on the insurance first!

10. Still having a crappy day, the 5th Ave is still overcharging and it has to be something so damn stupid. Not the computer which regualtes voltage output supposedly, not the Alternator which tested OK. I'll get it or it'll get me !! I really need to get one of the two fixed. The Burb is drivable as long as I steer against the pulling of the brakes. I'm tempted to take that caliper back and get a new one or try to change out the right side so they match exactly.

11. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

did you replace your pads. Could the leaky side be glazed or oil soaked?

12. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Dam, Burb! I'm not the least bit jealous! (but have had that day before!!!).
    Um, i'm incline to think taking BOTH calipers in.. and getting a matched set is next in order1! Don't have much of a clue on Mamma's.. cecpt checkin the grounds.. and all 2 zillion fuses and such! (but excpect you've done that already!!) Twice!!

Seems best i can offer is a chilled Coors Light.. and with my luck, you'd prefer a different brew! : /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

13. The pads weren't that old, I'd say about 5K on them so I left them alone. They are not glazed over or have any fluid on anything !! It just acts like air in that side of the system, the pedal even is a little squishy when the engine is running. It is tight as can be when not running.