Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmyjack, Mar 29, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Can you help a squirrel that's lookin for nut? Last month I swapped in my 14 bolt rearend. The brake light on the dash came on sporadically and now it's on constantly. The pedal is firm, stays firm and the blazer doesn't pull under any braking. I bled all of the air out of the lines and the resovoir is full. All I can figure is the master has a internal leak but wouldn't my pedal be spongy? I'm still worn out from installing the rear end so I'm trying to do as little as possible to fix this prob. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

its the combo valve that controls the brake light........

does that help? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You mean the brake light switch? Someone at work said that too but it didn't make sense. Kind of still doesn't. Could you expound a little more?

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

The combo (prop) valve has a "flap" in it......that flap is what controls the <font color="red"> brake light on your dash </font>

When I lost my rear lines- the light flipped on.....it took about 45 minutes of pressure bleeing with a vacum system to get the light to go out..........the flap I guess is a PIA to get back in place....??

someone here knows what Im talking about- or do a search by my user name in the last month....I had one hell of a time with my complete brake line redo..

this was one of the topics covered

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Oh you mean the prop valve on the cross member. God I hope that isn't my problem

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

yeah thats the one- the combination valve......also called proportioning valve...

I had to pull my lines off- just unthread them......but leave them "connected"....and bang it with a wrench...to pop the air out.....then vacume bleed.......it SUCKED

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

OK! I was really snooping around in the engine compartment today and it turns out it's a bad master cylinder. I have a brand new booster so the brake fluid didn't really stand out or make anything really wet looking. What gave it away was the paint bubbling on the steering shaft. Not a big leak, but enough to make my dash light up. I guess when I bled the rears it got enuff grit down into the seals to eat them up.