Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joez, Nov 1, 2003.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

i searched first, but could not find anyone with the same problem i have. this blazer sat for about 4 months, and when i got it it had a very, very firm pedal. i had to almost stand on it to get the truck to stop. since then it has been getting continually softer. the truck still stops fine, but now it is getting really soft. if it gets much softer i am going to start to worry about it. i can find no leaks, no wet lines, the MC is full. is this just the hydro boost working again? if it is a problem i just want to catch it before it gets much worse and i cant stop.

its an 85 w/a 6.2 diesel. any ideas?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

when it is soft, are you pressing the pedal hard or lightly? start it up, in park/neutral press lightly down on the pedal, chances are if it sinks to the floor, you might have an internal bypass in the m/c...since it sat for a while its a possibility one of the seals inside the m/c had a piece of dirt or debris stuck up against it for that time and created a dent that wont go away..

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

it wont go to the floor, yet. it just seems to get softer each and every day. ill drive it and see what happens, if it starts getting real bad, you guys will know about it.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hydro or vacuum brakes ?

sounds like air getting into a line, or bad booster, or too much moisture in brake fluid in which i would flush out with new fluid in which you are supposed to do every three or less years especially in higher humidity regions such as here

good luck

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hydro or vacuum brakes ?

sounds like air getting into a line, or bad booster, or too much moisture in brake fluid in which i would flush out with new fluid in which you are supposed to do every three or less years especially in higher humidity regions such as here

good luck

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hydro or vacuum brakes ?

good luck

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

his truck is a deisel according to his sig., so it would be hydro correct cause they dont create vacume

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

not all diesels are hydro, some have vacum pumps.

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

its hydro, i stated that in the post. it doesnt seem to be getting much softer now, seems to have slowed down. it has me stumped, but at least it still stops.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oops yep says hydroboost in post, my bad, does pedal ever bottom out on you when you get on it ? doe sit bleed down towards floor if you stay on it ?

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

nope, doesnt hit the floor, at least not yet. like i said, it was so firm that i almost had to stand on it to get it to stop, and it is just getting softer and softer. last night it seemed to level off a little, or i am getting more used to it. it still stops good, well, as good as a K5 will stop.

12. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I would change out the brake fluid. It collects moisture over time. If it gets worse, then the master cylinder would be the next thing I swapped.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would change out the brake fluid. It collects moisture over time. If it gets worse, then the master cylinder would be the next thing I swapped.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

dont worry, fluid is being changed this week. and we will see if it helps.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not all diesels are hydro, some have vacum pumps

[/ QUOTE ]

oops this is true..for got some did have pumps /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

is it possible that your brake lines are getting old and are expanding. are they still rubber or steel braided?

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

they are still rubber, but are in way better shape than the ones on my other truck. i cant visually see them expand, but am not sure if they are internally or not.