Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake rotor application question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86haubs, Jun 13, 2006.

1. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Will the rotors from a 92+ fit 73-91 3/4t chevys?, or anybody know where I can find drilled/slotted rotors for my 86 3/4 burb?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No the rotors are differnt. 92 plus i believe they just slip over the studs, and 91 older stuff is pressed on to the bearing hub. Not sure where you can buy drilled or slotted rotors. Any particular reason that you need them on a 4x4? I see you are in Lemoore. I live out here on the base. Have to hook up sometime and talk trucks:D

3. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Well I need to replaced my rotors because they are warped, but I figured if I am replacing them, might as well upgrade for a little more money. So are you saying our rotors are pressed onto the hubs? If so how the heck do I replaced them?

Off Topic---Ya I live in Lemoore, bought a house last year, stationed at CNATTU right now.

Haubs

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Tire Rack has slotted rotors for $89-$120ea... For the fronts....

5. Emmettology 101

You hamer out the studs(put a nut on the end of the them and then hit the nut with a hammer until it knocks loose). Once all the studs are out you cna knock the rotor off the hub. Then you need to reinstall the old studs or new ones. It's best if the studs are pressed in..

And I dont think I'd lay down the cash for slotted rotors. Just get some good plain ones like Brembo's....

6. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

So there is no way this is a 1 hour start to finish project, huh? CAN I GET A BREAK!!???!?!?!?

7. Emmettology 101

Check with your local parts store. See if they have a press. If so, take your old ones in with you and have them press out the studs and put the new rotors on. SHouldn't be too expensive. Or, buy new studs with the rotors(unless you can get the old ones out without messing them up)... Shouldn't take more then about 20 mins to get the rotors off. Then about 30-45 to get the new ones and studs back on... *roughly*

Nothing is easy. :thumb:

One other option... Some parts places used to offer the rotors with hubs(and studs). But last i checked alot of places were getting away from this and just offered the rotors....

8. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Ya I saw that, the low, low price of 150 bucks ea. You have to be kidding me. I am too poor for this crap!

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well ya take the old hub/rotor off, and I use a BFH and knock each stud out. Then get new studs (order these in advance cause stores only seem to carry a few) and a new rotor. i pressed mine in at the hobby shop. You can pound them in, but I felt better pressing them after I pounded on one for awhile, and it still wasn't seated. Pretty easy job. Have you checked to see if you can have your rotors turned? Might be able to fix them that way if they aren't too bad.

I work out here at VFA-41. There are a few members around the area and Fresno/Hanford/Visalia areas too. www.norcalbigdawgs.net is a kinda local board/club too.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also i have heard you dont want drilled for dd use. thay crack much quicker. just sloted. is the best upgrades.

6 lug ifs = easy swap out

8 lug ifs = p.i.t.a swap out

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You can get them from RockAuto.com for a lot less than that. I just bought a pair of Raybestos 3/4T 8-lug hubs and rotors from them for $95 shipped.