Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Rotors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backcountry, Aug 8, 2004.

1. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I want to replace my front stock brake rotors. Can anyone recommend a sweet set? Also I would like a pair of sweet pads for the front and shoes for the rear. Any suggestions?

Thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Wilwood D compound or Raybestos "Brute Stop" pads for the front. Look for grooved and NOT drilled rotors. I know drilled are the fad, they don't stop better, but they do crack better. Chamfers only help on one side of the holes. There's no practical way to chamfer the other side of the holes (in the venting voids). Grooves clean the pad's friction surface and allow what little gases are generated to escape. Outgassing of friction materials is almost a thing of the past.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You don't want the "Brute Stop" pads if those are the fleet type pads. They will require heat to get them to work well and in town will not produce the stopping performance of a regular pad.

Fleet pads are great for heavy duty vehicles because they offer the ultimate in durability and work better when hot than anything else.

I would just turn the OE rotors and throw a good set of semi-metallics in your favorite name brand on it. That's what I do and I'm very happy with the results.

4. backcountry

Thank's guys for the great info.! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. backcountry