Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake seizing on Dana44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Goose, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I rotated my tires yesterday and found a problem. The front left rotor would not turn. Thought it was wheel bearings for a second, then realized the brake pads were still touching the rotor. Well, I could turn it when I had the tire on, but it was tight enough I could not with the tire off. I took the brakes and caliper off. (Had to use my hi-lift as a big 'C' clamp to compress the wheel cylinder). I cleaned everything with brake parts cleaner and put it back together. Pushed on the brakes and the cylinder still wouldn't release. Does this mean I need to overhaul the brake cylinder or would it just be easier to get a new caliper assembly. Any way to loosen up the wheel cylinder? If I replace the left one do I have to replace the right one to get equal braking?
    Thanks

Cruisin in my '73.

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

How old are the hoses? Sometimes the rubber in the hose will swell enough that it will close off the ID. When you press the brake pedal, the master cylinder can push fluid through to the caliper, but there is no real force to release the pressure from the other direction.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

3. Nike

Nike Registered Member

The proportioning valve is designed to keep a pound or so pressure on the caliper so as to keep the disk clean. You might check this also. Nike in Mo.

Blue

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If it is a 1/2 ton 44 then the Calipers are only about $20 from Auto Zone. Doesn't hurt ot chnage them if they are older!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys:
    From what I can tell, the proportioning valve, rubber hoses, and calipers are all original. I would like to replace the hoses with longer ones and will get new calipers. I while back someone posted a part number from NAPA that were longer brake hoses and would work for a 4" lift. Anybody happen to know what that number may be???

Cruisin in my '73.

6. Nike

Nike Registered Member

I just did some searching and could not find the NAPA part # on this sight but I have it at work. I wrote it down some time back. I will get it Tuesday since I will not be at work till then. I will post it Tuesday morning. Thanks Nike in Mo.

Blue