Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake setup Questions??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Apr 3, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey gang
    I will be replacing brakelines and all harware(original 72 stuff is gettin old).
    What is the story with a perportioning(sp?) valve?
    Besides providing a brake warning light, what other purpuse to they serve? Can it be eliminated? Or is that a bad idea?
    I want to boost the breaking power to my tires any tips or tricks? What about 3/4 to 1ton power boosters??
    As you can see I am looking for all the info I can on creating better brakes.
    Thanks

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Still looking for the almighty Brake wizard!!
    Hellooooo were are youuuuuuu...........[​IMG]

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The proportioning valve is very neccessary to stopping your vehicle correctly. The front brakes account for approximatly 75% of your stopping power. Keeping this in mind if you were to remove the valve, when you hit the brakes you would be sending equal amounts of pressure to both front and rear brakes. Which most assuradly would cause the rear brakes to lock up . The valve keeps this from happening.

(from Chiltons)" This valve is used on all models with disc brakes. The valve itself is a combination of: 1) a metering valve, which will not allow the front disc brakes to ingage until the rear brakes contact the drum; 2) the failure warning switch, which tell you if one of the systems has a leak; 3) the proportioner which limits rear brake pressure and delays rear wheel skid."

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK so that is a bad idea to remove the P. valve!!

How about booster upgrades, will going to a 3/4 or 1 ton booster/master combo give me more braking power? Is this possiable to swap parts like that?
    Thanks

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Don't see why swapping in a bigger booster would help. Sure, you can apply more power to your rotors and drums (prolly warp the poor ****ers ;-) but they only have so many square inches of surface.

Bigger calipers/pads on the discs (and in the back, toss those drums for discs), now we're talking. More surface area = more stop ability. You might *then* need more pushing power to spread across the increased area, but not before.

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    You need to have that valve if you have drum brakes on your truck. Something about drums needing residual pressure on the system. The valve holds the 4-7lbs on the system.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

7. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Hydro boost is a good option! Rear discs a good option, if you have to replace everything anyway. Make sure to bleed and adjust brakes (rear drums) frequently! Keep your proportiong valve you need it!

8. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

ive got a 72 also and just did the brakes on mine. i got a new everything the master cylinder,proportioning valve, caplipers,wheel cylinders,stainless steel lines. but the one tool i highly recommend is a reverse brake bleeder hand pump. i got mine out of hot rod. it bled my system so well with the new parts it felt like a different truck