Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake system question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, I still have the moaning groaning sound from my rear discs in reverse only. I called a local brake shop, and the guy seemed to think there is a check valve in the rear system that will not release the calipers when the pedal is released. He doesnt know where it is, just that he thinks there may be one.
    Does anyone have any idea if there is one? And where it is so I can eliminate it from the system. I suspect it to be in the combo valve but any pics Ive seen of the internals dont mention it. I will be buying a adjustable prop valve on my next trip to the US, they are 39.00 there and 150.00 here, but till then just wonderin if anyone can give me a better answer.

Thanks

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

There is a check valve. It is normally in the prop valve. I know when I switched from drum to discs in the front of my GTO that I have to eliminate the check valve. It was is the prop valve. What the check valve does is keep some pressure on the brakes since drums use springs to hold the shoes away from the drums. Without the check valve with drums the pedal will go straigh to the floor. You dont need it for discs. The caliper sits close enough that if you have the valve in it, it will engage the brakes slightly like you are talking about.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>