Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Trouble... I'm Going Insane.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vetteman61, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

I put my 4" lift on, blocks in rear, springs up front. I swapped a 12 bolt limited slip from a 1979 4x4 truck into my 1987 K5 blazer which originally had a 10 bolt open rear end. I took the backing plates off my 10 bolt and put them on the 12 bolt, along with all the brake hardware and shoes intact. Now when I drive and apply the brakes the worst shudder and noise comes from the rear brakes. I've tried both the old and new brake drums. I don't understand why swapping the brakes would cause this as long as I changed the backing plates. I can drive in reverse as fast or slow as I want and when I apply the brakes in this direction the brakes work perfectly. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I know it's rear brakes becuase I've tried using the parking brake and still get the shudder. It's clearly from the rear.
    I also have a horrible driveline vibration while driving in reverse.

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

this might sound weird, but i think you have put the shoes or the drums on the wrong side. sounds to me the drums might have been use to turning
    in one direction so maybe you might want to try and switch them from passenger side to driver side. could be the pads, are they used ?

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Something could be wrong inside the axle.
    I get that shudder/noise/vibration when I slow down, because of my driveshaft angles. Pull the blocks out and see if it goes away.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

shoes on wrong??..

Sounds to me like the brake shoes are reversed..the shorter one(the lining itself) goes towards the front of the truck,the longer one towards the rear..if it only does this when braking,and not driving,and only while going forward and not in reverse,I'd guess that is the problem..:crazy:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also your blocks are thay in correctly? tapered blocks go short side to front and taller side to rear. i have seen tons of blocks in backwards before.

6. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

thanks for the tips, I'll check these out. The blocks are in correctly however.