Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jun 11, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 1986 K5 Blazer with low miles. Well the lady that I bought it from said it pulls to the right because she got into a lot of mud at a work site. Well the pulling stopped for a little but now it is back. It only does it a little like once every three days or sometimes a week. It really pulls to the right I mean my steering wheel looks like I need a aliment bad. But once I get to where I need to be and the truck sits for a minute it runs like a new truck. Well today I was pulling out of a big apple and it felt like I had no brakes because the pedal was soft. But if I went down half way the truck would stop good. When I left the big apple I went to one of my friends house to pull my old tires off from my junky ‘85 and stick them on this bad boy. I went to start taking the tires off from the passenger side of the truck and the front well was HOT. I meant I couldn’t even touch it. Then I felt the drivers side front and rear rims both where cold. Then I felt the passenger side rear rim that was HOT also. What is going on? I have yet to pull those two tires because I can’t get my two rear tires off from my ’85 (They are stuck).
    Thanks
    Adam

2. adamforsythe

By the way how do you guys get stuck back tires off from your truck? I tried kicking it beating it with a deadblow.
    I NEED HELP.
    Thanks
    Adam

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

use a gear puller, center of the gear puller goes right on the drum, and the arms/teeth go into the holes in the rim, grab you a ratchet and/or breaker bar and have at it.... try not to use an impact if you do it though, it can fubar the puller, and that wheel will pop off at you when it does come off.

4. Wes Harden

Wes Harden Registered Member

hot right front brake

Sounds like your right front caliper is not releasing. Jack truck up place on bodystands, applyand release brake w/ engine running then see if right front spins as easly as left front. if not 1st step. Get a gm caliper hardware kit
    remove both calipers and replace the o rings and pin bushings, also pins if worn rusted striped etc. if pins are ok clean them w/ a wire wheel or emercloth. Put it bake together, new pads if old ones are close, and test drive if still to hot. If it does my money is on the caliper piston sticking in the bore. Could also be internal damage to brake line, little flap of rubber acting as a check valve.
    To cheack hose have someone apply and release brakes while you have your hand around hose. if swells replace it. Now if right front wheel doesn't spin well, open bleeder screw to reieve pressure, and spin wheel agian. If the same get a new caliper.
    Good luck
    Wes

5. adamforsythe

Hello,
    Cool thanks I will try it
    Thanks
    Adam

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen to my front calipers. They are cheap to replace I believe it was like $40 at Auto Zone.

7. adamforsythe

Ok another question how can I take my back tires off? They are on there good.
    Thanks
    Adam

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Undo the lugnuts? :confused: What do you mean?

9. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Jack it up and set it on some good stands or block and start beating the crap out of the back of the tire with a sledge. Only way I know of. Then smear all the contact and center with anti seize.