Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Trouble's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, May 15, 2004.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Brake Trouble\'s

Ok i know this subject has been beat to death but i searched and couldnt find anything like my problem exactly.

Ok here is the set-up, 14ff with disk kit just installed, new rubber lines front and rear, new hard lines from about half way back and across the 14ff. I have bled these things till i am blue in the face and cant get a good pedal.The brakes work good enough to drive it around but they are no where near right. I have read that alot of people have a problem with the rears locking up, but when i stomp on the brakes the k5 just dives to the nose, which has me wonderin if the proportioning valve has tripped to front only. When bleeding the rears, the wifey says the pedal doesnt go near as far down as when i do the fronts. So whats your opinion? Tripped prop. valve? Just needs more bleeding? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Or try to find someone to power bleed them?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Brake Trouble\'s

I think you might want to check your post for typo's /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

-Are your bleeder valves at the top when you are bleeding them?
    -How old is your master cylinder...manual bleeding likes to take them out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I made a power bleeder from a Harbor Freight venturi vacuum pump I got for $14, a glass jar, and some hose. Might be cheeper then getting it done and would be a cool tool to have around (if you have a compressor).

To figure out how the prop valve is working the best thing to do is to take it out to a empty dirt lot and see which end locks up first. You should also do some stops on pavement to see which end locks up first. Often if the prop valve goes out they will leak externally...

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had mine bled at a shop with a suction bleeder today. $25. I was having a hard time getting it right myself and was sick of dealing with it. Worth the cash to me.

4. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you might want to check your post for typo's /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, i am amazer it didnt get a [darn]. I guess we found a word that will slide. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    As far as the bleeders go, yes they are up, the mc is ?????

p.s. Thanks for heads up on the major typo. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Do you have a 1/2 ton MC? You may want to try going to 3/4 or 1 ton. I am putting my 60 in tomorrow, then a few days later the 14 bolt FF with discs is going in. I plan on putting the D60 in , then bleeding the brakes to see if my pedal is mushy due to the larger volume of fluid it has to move for the Bendix brakes. If the pedal has dropped considerably enough, I'll know that the 1/2 ton MC won't be enough to push the rear discs.

Which truck are you having problem with, and what does the rest of the system consist of?