Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Upgrade Options

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CDA 455, Dec 28, 2006.

1. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Any suggestions on brake booster/master cylinder upgrades on my '72 Blazer :confused: :dunno: ?

I'm installing my Dana 60 front axle from a CUCV and I have one ton brakes. I would like to have the appropriate booster/master cylinder for the set up.
    My long term goal will be hydroboost brakes but that's not going to happen for a few years.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated :D !

2. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

My first suggestion is send the D60 to me. I will fix it for you and return it as a D44. :D

Have you been reading the thread in garage titled "my brakes are Breaking me down"?

I have a hydoboost on the shelf ready to go in my rig. I just cant seem to break down and put it in. Somthing about 1 unit controlling my brakes and steering, i just cant seem to swallow.

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I did the hydroboost on my 69 K20 when I swapped in the bbc and let me tell you, it is NICE! I had manual brakes before hand so anything would have been an improvement. Make the jump and get it installed!

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Yes, I just finished reading it! Kind of scary when seasoned builders are puzzled by them!

I discovered hydroboost brakes with my Powerstroke Diesel. I am totally sold on it. The aftermarket kit I'm looking at is big $$$$! Howell has a set up where one pulley works two pumps; one for steering and one for the brakes!

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

especially when you add hydro steering too

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I installed a master/booster from a 72K30 pickup. THe booster is a "double diaphram" and my brakes actually stop my K5 now...100% better and it was a direct bolt in swap...
    [​IMG]
    I had to buy new hardlines to connect to the p-valve at 1Ton brakes hook to the P-valve opposite of a 1/2tom setup...
    Good Luck

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the pic reference :bow: ! So did you replace your P-valve too? Or is the hook ups just different on the M/C?

8. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would highly recommend you just step up to hydroboost right now, it isn't that hard, I used a hydroboost unit from a 93ish astro van (also used the master cylinder, swapped the res.) modified the mounting plate (it comes off the hydroboost easily) welded the original rod to the hydroboost's rod, had some lines made and finally had good brakes for once, by far better than the one ton booster. Final total with used parts: $125.00 and about 4-6 hours. I paid $100.00 for the one ton vacuum booster which I promptly returned once I got the hydroboost working. Make sure you use an adjustable proportioning valve to keep those big rear brakes in check. Your original is probably sticking anyway.
    There is no reason to be scared of having both the steering and brakes run off the same pump, just about every diesel powered pickup has the same setup.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Same P-valve just the lines are opposite on the Master.
    I got new lines from:
    http://www.inlinetube.com/

I have no experiance with HydroBoost....sounds like an awesome upgrade...

10. Clockwork71

Clockwork71 Registered Member

I bought a master, booster, and combination valve from master power brakes. They will know what size to sell you. It cost about $550. All the lines screwed right in. My brakes work better than the brakes in my 94 caprice 9c1 with four wheel disc. But I always thought the idea of hydroboost was a good idea. You make the call.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006