Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake upgrade?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stroked72Blazer, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 K5 with 33" tires soon to be 35"s. Will my stock brakes be good enough or do I need bigger rotors? Will any thing interchange with it or do I need to find a kit? The brakes won't hold it still on steep hills so I am going to rebuild them, but, I don't want to waste money rebuilding it stock only to find out it nees upgraded.

2. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

kill two birds with one stone and put 3/4 or one ton axles under it, bigger brakes and stronger axles!...If it wont hold it on a hill with 33's then I would say here is something wrong somewhere. rebuilding them will probably help. maybe a new master cylender. Im not a brake pro so im not sure on this but could the vacume booster be stuck so its acting as non-power brakes? just a thought.
    hope this helps.

3. Stroked72Blazer

Are 3/4 or 1 ton axles heavier than stock. Would it be posible to scavenge the hardware off a 3/4 ton axle.

4. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Stock is 1/2 ton axels, 3/4 ton axels are very easy to find, but I know around here, 1ton would be tough, but thats just around my small town. We got quite a few 3/4 axels behind the barb. Someday when I learn how and have enough time, I will probably make the swap.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3/4 ton axles are the same strength as stock (still a dana44) but the rears are very strong (they are 14bolts).
    Going to 3/4ton IMO is not worth it for just the brakes. They arn't all that much bigger than the
    1/2 ton stuff in the front and the rear doesn't get much use.

However a 14bolt is a very strong axle and is worth it if you plan to take it offroad much.
    Also 3/4 and 1-tons have 8 lug so you will need new wheels (and tires if you have 15" and don't
    want to grind the calipers).

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It might sound dumb, but check the vacuum booster hose...!

I had a friend show me that mine was NOT the correct type of hose and had collapsed shut due to vacuum pressure, so effectively I have NO power booster!!

I was experiencing the same sort of "brakes won't hold on a steep hill" type effect, and that's with a D60 front and 14BFF with the disc brake conversion....so I've got PLENTY of holding power "potential"

I'm going to swap the hose out today, but I won't be able to do a test drive for a couple days..... Anyway, if it's advice that helps, you're welcome to use it!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Stroked72Blazer

What I mean by heavier is weight. Is there a way to use use the bigger brakes without swapping axle and without too much fabrication?

8. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey, check out that A-Tron link above, they have a killer deal on changing out your rear drums to disks for the 12 bolt that we have. $185 plus you go buy some new calipers which compared to $500+ I have seen elsewhere is a pretty good deal!

I may have to consider it myself.... then again, the other points regarding the heavier axles are good too. My ultimate goal is to put a Dana 60 in the front and prob 14FF in the rear, with drilled rotors on all 4 corners.

Sam Hinton

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Agree with Triaged, the 3/4 ton brakes are nop bigger than 1/2 ton brakes (1/2 ton brakes just barely fit inside the 15" wheels, just like the 3/4 ton brakes). If you're concerned about fade ,add some cooling ducts. Use the best avaiulable pads with the highest coefficient of friction.