Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake upgrades

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Well the 23 year old master cylinder finaly kicked the can so I need suggestions on what to replace the master cylinder and or brake booster with. I have heard of people useing late modle parts for better power to the brakes and better pedal feel. What year parts should i look for to do this? What aftermarket parts are available, and how much do they cost? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heck I got the $35 Autozone life time stock replacement...works fine. Can lock it down at will. Only reason to upgrade on that is if your running 1 ton axles and need the extra fuid capacity. Then just get the same year as you got K30 version. You might (not sure but something to check) have to put a K30 proportioning valve on it also.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

When i put the 3/4 tons in i had a squishy pedal, i think b/c the rear cylinders are a larger bore, so i bolted in a 3/4 ton master of the same year, had to swap lines front to back, other than that it bolted in and is nice and firm, they list the same booster for the 1/2 and 3/4 for my year so it was bolt in and go, or stop as the case may be, i havn't hit anything yet, and its been a few months, (crossing fingers).

RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I ddid some research and the later models are all the same 87 newer at least except the anti lock ones

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s