Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake warning light flashing...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Aug 15, 2006.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The brake warning light in my 89 S10 is now flashing at me, and I'm left wondering what it might be trying to say. There's plenty of fluid, the pads are fine all around, perfect pedal feel, normal braking performance, etc. So really, it seems as though nothing is wrong.

The light used to stay off all the time, and was only lit when the parking brake was in use. Then for a few months it decided that it wanted to be on ALL the time, but would actually increase in intensity when I set the parking brake, then dim down a bit when I released it. A couple days ago while cornering through one of the curves of my commute, it went from steady to flashing. Three quick flashes, then one a bit longer. It repeats those same four flashes continually. What gives? Is this a common thing, what should I look for?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Years ago I had an intermittin issue with the red light comming on and sometimes flashing or staying solid...took about a year to figure it out...In my master cylinder's fluid resavor was one of thoes foil seals that you have to tear off the brakefluid bottle. I guess the foil seal floating around in the fluid would sometimes get sucked to the output hole and screw with the pressure enough to make the light go on.....:doah: :o

Never know so just thought I would share...
    Burt

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, that's odd. Hopefully I don't have any foreign objects in there. :eek1:
    So is there some sensor that's throwing this thing off? What should I be looking for? Anyone?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Patterened flashing is the ABS computer ... it's presumably code 31, but I don't know what that means in your case. Get thee to a service manual, prolly factory over a Chilton's or Hayne's.

A *solid* brake light means low fluid (actually a big pressure different from front to rear), or that the parking brake is misadjusted or the switch is broken.

But specific blinks like that ... are a computer.

-- A

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I wonder why it would switch from solid to flashing when there never were any low fluids. I know it wasn't the parking switch, because of the brightness increase when it was actually engaged. I'll have to see if I can even find my Haynes, it's all I've got. Never use it though... I think I've moved twice since I've last seen it.:crazy: