Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brake Warning light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hardcore, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

1990 K5

The brake light/parking brake light is giving a warning flasher all the time.
    The warning light flashes 3 times then comes on for a second or two then flashes 3 times and so on. THe brakes work fine. I looked in my GM service manual and it says it's the ABS and says how to test all the sensors with a multimeter. I'd hate to have to test every one of them. I figure it's giving some kind of code since it flashes 3 times. I was wondering if anyone knew what specific part is messed up /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can clear the codes by turning the ignition switch OFF. Remove the STOP/HAZARD fuse for at least 5 seconds, the reinstall the fuse. If it comes back then do this:

[​IMG]

Codes:

Code 2: open isolation solenoid or EBCM malfunction
    Code 3: open dump solenoid or EBCM malfunction
    Code 4: grounded anti-lock pressure valve rest switch
    Code 5: excessive dump valve actuations during anti-lock stop
    Code 6: erratic speed signal
    Code 7: shorted isolation solenoid or EBCM malfunction
    Code 8: shorted dump solenoid or EBCM malfunction
    Code 9: open or grounded speed signal circuit
    Code 10: stop lamp switch circuit
    Codes 1, 11 and 12

: invalid diagnostic trouble codes
    Codes 13, 14 and 15

: electric brake control module malfunction

You can read the codes by connecting a jumper wire from pin H on the ALDL to pin A. If the jumper method is used, the fault code will be displayed through the flashing of the BRAKE warning lamp on the dash. The terminals must be connected for about 20 seconds before the display begins. The display will begin with 1 long flash followed by shorter ones-count the long flash as part of the display.