Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brake ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 71blaz, Feb 24, 2003.

1. 71blaz

71blaz Registered Member

I did an axle swap yesterday and had to move the blazer half way through. having just finshed installing the rear 12 bolt, every thing hooked back up except the braked lines. I moved the blazer and the brake light in the dash came on. I finished the front and got everything connected and went to bleed the brakes ,but only the front brakes would bleed the rear don't seem to let any fluid out???? someone told me the proportioning valve where the wire hooks up is where the truoble is. any ideas?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would use one of thoes hand pumps to suck the fluid to the back. If you have too much air in the lines it may be causing your issue...??
    Good Luck

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The stock valve is a combination valve. There is a holdoff built into that thing. You need to make a tool that holds the pin on the front of the conbination valve in so that you can properly bleed the brakes.

Vacuum bleeding like Burt recommends is a good thing as well, but it's sometimes tough to do because air leaks by the threads of the bleeder valves.

4. 71blaz

71blaz Registered Member

thanks for the input. I removed the wire and then took out the pin/switch 5/8 nut then re-intalled it and the light went out and the proportioning valve will now let fluid through. A friend told me this is a safety feature.