Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakeline question 14bff disc

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I just need to know what I should do,
    I just bought a 10b 3/4 ton to swap out for my dana 44.
    The 10b came with calipers, pads & lines. And my dana 44 has calipers, new pads & lines.
    I am planning on doing a disc brake swap on my 14bff.
    Now I know I can use the dana 44 calipers with my swap but can I use the stock lines? What will I need to fit the stock rubber line to the stock hardline?
    Thanks

2. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

bump, I have searched and found what non-stock brakelines to use but haven't found any info on using front rubbers on the back.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

PM MTBLAZER89, I think he used stock front hoses to do his rear disk swap.

You could always get the hose kit from Az-Kickin. I did and it works pretty well. Besides, you get the cool billet mounting brackets that way. Pic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I was going to but instead the snow decided to start flying today so only having front brakes for 2 weeks while waiting on parts is not an option.
    Thanks for the link but I found nothing about using stock rubber lines and how to affix them to the stock steel lines.

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Grim Reaper used Chevette brake hoses. Read his write up on switching his 10 bolt over to disc brakes. There are a lot of great pictures too.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm certain I've posted on this subject at least a few times but here goes again...

Just swap to newer (10mm instead of 7/16") banjo bolt calipers like what comes on an eighties pickup.

If you do that you can use these brake lines without drilling out the hole in the brake line to fit the 7/16" banjo bolt. Since half ton calipers are only $15 there's no reason not to have all the same caliper on your truck.

For the rear hoses you can use early to mid eighties GM G-body front brake hoses. Ones for an 86 Monte Carlo will work. They're about 8" long. Napa #4136847 is $11.49. Tru-Torque equivalent is H36847.

For the front you can use the left front brake hose for a 1994 2wd 1 ton. They're about 25" long. $13.99 at Advance Auto. Napa wants $16.69.
    Tru-Torque (Advance Auto): H38873
    Napa: H38873
    Bendix: 78227
    Raybestos: BH38873
    Wagner: F124600

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Yes, like I said I have read I can use other brakelines and have a page long list of different ones I can use I just want to figure out if I can use the stock front ones. And yes there is a reason why I can't buy calipers for $15 because thats easily over $50 loaded and I am broke but still have to put disc brakes on and put my front diff together and in because it decided to snow here and my truck won't be very safe on ice the way it is.
    Now if I use my 75 dana 44 1/2 ton calipers on the front 81 3/4 ton diff (will they work?) and use my 81 calipers and lines on rear the lines will work or no?
    Thats all I'm trying to figure out, I'm just getting a little stressed with this weather dumping up here and my truck not being ready and not getting a straight answer anywhere. Why can't I use one of my stock front rubber lines in the rear, if I can what fitting or nut or whatever will I need to achieve this?

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Just go to the parts store and take the front line with you and ask to see there brake hardlines with the fittings and match the fitting up to the hose and just use that fitting and reflare or (best way)replace the hardline all done.....

Here is my line that I used for the rear disks..

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Where do you live at? The snow hasn't stuck here yet. It's been snowing and icing but it melts.

The calipers will bolt up to either, they're completely swappable to my knowledge. You may have to notch out the backing plate in one spot (I've done this before) because of casting differences but as long as the pins go through the holes who cares. All of GM's #52 pads are the same.

As far as using the 81 hoses and connecting them to your rear brake lines I don't see why you couldn't do it. It's just that there is 19" of rubber on a stock line if I remember correctly. I replaced the brake lines on the rear axle and at less than $10 I figured it was time anyway. That way I didn't have to deal with the crispy lines at the wheel cylinders.

11. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys, they are calling for the storm of the year here, about a 1 1/2ft in some areas supposably we are supposed to get about a foot. The joys of living in canada.
    I know there will be alot of extra line but I just want to get everything on and have working brakes as cheap and quick as possible. Thanks for the help