Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakeline Removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by little79k5, Sep 11, 2002.

1. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

Any special tools required for a 83 1/2 ton? Any tricks?

Thanks
    keith /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Use a tubing wrench. (do not delude yourself here...you may get lucky a few times, but when you finally round off the head of one of these with a normal wrench, you'll kick yourself)

Also, when trying to loosen rusted or stuck fittings, make sure the wrench fits tightly, and give the wrench a sharp wrap with a hammer or something. Don't follow through, you just want the sudden shock, as it typically breaks the corrosion bond at the fitting, which is why its stuck in the first place.

3. little79k5

is it called a brake tubing wrench or just tubing wrench? can i get it at a auto parts store ya think?

4. little79k5

and what happens if i already rounded one off!?! whoops
    vise grips?

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Also called flare wrenches, they're the ones with the four-sided heads (or is it five?) Anyway, they go on at the hose part, then you slide them up and tweak away.

Dorian is 100% on the money. I almost killed my rear brake line last week; do it right, use the right tools, and be patient.

And use lots of WD40 or other tight-mofo-nut loosener as personal preference ;-)

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know them only as tubing wrenches. They come in different sizes just like box/open ends, except tubing wrenches fit on 6 point bolts only, and look like a box end wrench, with only one "flat" cut out, so it uses 5 of the 6 points on the nut, instead of 2 like an open end.

If its rounded off, you can try visegrips, but since the fitting is essentially hollow, unlike a regular bolt, what typically happens is they crush, and then there is nothing to grab on to.

7. little79k5

one more thing. i want to pick one up on the way home from work. isn't it a 3/4" ??

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

They're usually one size on each end. I thought they were smaller than that -- 5/8" or 9/16" -- but I drove the Isuzu today, so I couldn't tell ya.

Get a set of 3/8 thru 3/4", comes as three wrenches I think.