Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakeline size and new MC problem - grrr

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Apr 24, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, the flare fitting for the front resevoir of the MC is 9/16. The rear fitting is 1/2". You cannot switch the lines because they are different sizes and won't fit.
    I put on a k30 MC. After bench bleeding it and bolting it on, I tried to put the brake lines on. The fittings are reversed. I had to physically move the coiled front line to the rear and vice versa. Now, the front resevoir is for the rear brakes and the rear resevoir is for the front brakes.

At the same time, I installed a new disc/disc proportioning valve. I checked the input lines for the brakes - they are different (front brakes are 1/2" flare and rear brake input is 7/16" 45 degree flare.) So, I can't swap them there either.

Is there anything to do about this? Since the prop valve is disc/disc, I think it will be OK. If it were a disc/drum variety like the stocker it may be a problem, but it is, like I said, a disc/disc one.

Any ideas? What about adaptors? Where would I find a 9/16 flare to 1/2" flare adaptor and also one the other way around?

-- Mike

2. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

If you've got a disk/disk pro.valve it will take care of the pressure differences, and since you've got rear disks then it doesn't matter which line you connect to either place on the MC because they are both going to draw the same amount of fluid, right? So just watch your BF level as the brakes wear and no problem then... maybe???

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Check your local Napa, if you have one, seems like I had a similar prob on my '70 ford 3/4 ton when I went to replace the MC, I think they sell an adapter to convert them down to the size you need /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Try http://www.cmwraceparts.com/ Look at their prices on SSBrake lines too. I'm doing the 1/2t to 3/4t disc conversion on mine but think I'll go with the $40 Wilwood dial proportioning valve instead of the $100 thing you're using. Probably end up running the fronts direct-no valve and adjust the rears with the valve- IF I'll even need it.