Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes!!!!!!!!!1

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Apr 19, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

got a problem here. I have new rotors and pads, but when i hit my brakes, my car puls hard to the right. Could it be a caliber? How can u tell?

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Get a Mightyvac and bleed the brake completly using it. Have someone keep the master cylinder full. You either have some air trapped or some crud was dislodged blocking a line.

3. 73Jimmy

73Jimmy Registered Member

Did you redo the brake calipers/cylinders? Maybe system needs to be powerbled?
    Does the brake pedal pulse at all? New rotors need a little trimming or not on square?
    Maybe a little grease on one of the pads? Any noise (squeek, howl, grinding, scraping?)
    Do the surfaces of the rotors look similar in roughness or shinyness?
    Do the rotors surfaces feel the same smoothness when you pull a finger across them?
    Front tires at the same air pressure?

73Jimmy

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm having the same problem off and on. I did a total rebuild of the front btakes and relined the backs. I replaced the bearings, calipers resurfaced the the rotors(yes the vacuum booster too!). Once in awhile it will pull to the right. Figure its not bled enuff. Any thoughts? And whats a mighty vac?

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

this may sound stupid, but, I had a truck that did this. It would pull hard to the right. I replaced the pads and rotors. didn't change. changed calipers, same. front end alignment, same. some one told me to check the rears. rears??? it pull on the front! sure enough, the one rear was leaking fluid and causing the brakes to pull the truck. The short wheel base is sensitive to imbalanced brakes. did it pull before you did the brakes? Check and equally adjust rears. I would change or rebuild calipers. They may have dirt in the pistons or the slides could be stuck.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Sometimes a caliper can stick. This means it doesn't brake as hard as the other one. I don't know if that is your case, but if it is, then you'll need to either get rebuilt calipers or rebuild the ones you have yourself.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Before you changed the brakes did you notice uneven wear on the rotors? This would be an indication that the calipers were bad. Mine were so bad that the inner pad was completely gone and the outer pad looked brand new.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

To check for and correct brake pull
    - check rear brake shoe adj and contamination (soaked w/gear oil from leaking axle seals)
    - Swap the left brake pads to the right side, and right to left. Redrive, did the brake pull follow the pads or stayed the same? If it followed the pads, get new pads. If it stayed the same, caliper/roter/clearance are possible causes.
    - Check roters surfaces, are they about the same left to right?
    - Spin roters by hand, are they the same? (is one caliper draging?)
    - Have a buddy depress the brake pedal, while you check for caliper/piston movement. The piston should expand and contract equaly left and right. (Ths one is kinda tuff to see, there is not alot of movement)
    - Check caliper movement with pisons compressed by hand, they should move freely.
    - Check bushings a sleaves, clean and lube or replace as needed
    - Check caliper to steering knuckle clearance, use a feeler gage and check the clearance on top and bottum add togather and compar to the other side. Are they the same or close? To correct cleance, use a flat file and file any burrs on the calipers, LIGHTLY clean the knuckle with file or emmery cloth.

If all you did was reline the front brake pads, and you did not open the bleaders or drain the resivor then the sys should not need to be bled.

Hope this helps

Twiztid

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

jimmyjack;
    - intermitant brake pulls are more likely due to a caliper binding or getting cocked in the steering knuckle, check the piston movement and caliper to knuckle clearances, also check bushings and sleaves. Keep an eye out for any burrs on the new calipers. If there were any air in the calipers or brake lines it should/would pull all the time.

Twiztid

10. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem ... the front brakes were dragging (the calipers weren't releasing all the way) ... when the right one got hot enough it would sort of lock up and the truck would always pull right (you could sure smell it tho) ... Then when I tried to brake it would pull either way and sometimes shake to high hell ... kind of random ... II took the calipers off and greased everyhting that should have been greased and that helped for a while. I finally just put in new calipers and bled the system ($25 a piece reman calipers). No problems since.

Drive around for a while and try to brake as little as possible ... then stop and hold a hand close to the brakes (or squirt a little water) and see if any one wheel is significantly warmer than the others. It will be obvious if you have one dragging.