Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes `89 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by River, May 23, 2000.

1. River

River 1/2 ton status

A very good day to you all,

I have a `89 K5 4x4 with 33x12,5/15 tires.
    The problem is when i`m driving arround 85-90 mph. and i have to brake 2 or 3 times real hard after each other then half way the 3 braking you it stops with braking i have to push the pedal real hard then to get the car still.( the front discs are almost red on this moment)
    When i drive normal city traffic their is no problem at all.

Is this normal with the bigger tires or are the brakepads no good or are their other modifications to do for the brakes ?

greetings from Amsterdam,

River

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

First off... 85-90mph GAWD!!!!! I'm friggin scared long before I get there in my 89. Second, you're just overheating the brakes. The brakes aren't really made to bring a truck your size down from 90 mph real hard. Sure, they'll do it, but they don't like it. A brake upgrade would deffinatly be in order, something that will help cool them down after a hard shot like that. Getting some crossdrilled rotors and performance pads is a start. You need to be careful about glazeing as well. With temps that high, you're liable to glaze over the pads, and end up with REALLY bad stopping power

Good Luck
    Kyle
    89K5

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

what the hell are you doing 90 mph in a blazer for?!!?!?!?

oh yeah and everything kyle said is good advice.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You might want to get the brake system checked, along with the booster. The booster operates using vacuum, and has an inline check valve to maintain pressure. If it is not functioniong properly the brakes will need more foot pedal pressure to stop.
    I just added a 2" lift and went from 31.10.50's to 33.12.50's and have noticed no change in braking. Of course, I just replaced the whole system, rotors, pads,drums,lines, booster,wheel cylinders and master cylinder.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Make sure your back brakes are adjusted right. Also make sure the self adjusters are moving freely.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It's called brake fade. You might be able to improve it by bleeding / changing your brake fluid. If it has absorbed some water, it turns to steam at high temps, and voila, no brakes.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Lets see here......hmmmm..... A quick stop in a 4000+ lb. vehicle at 90mph... I didn't know there was such a thing.

8. River

River 1/2 ton status

Thank you all for the quik response.

In holland the speed limit is 75 mph but we often drive arround 85 till 90 mph. When i go on vacation i drive thru germany their is on 50% off the highway`s no speed limit.
    i now the blazer isn`t a race car but it drives pretty comfortable by 90 mph.(90 mph. i`m doing arround 2200 rpm.)

Thank you all.

greetings from Amsterdam,

River

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Let me guess....700R4 transmission, with 3.08 gears. I had the same setup in my truck and would do 80 at 2200, but when you go that fast at that low of an RPM it works your transmission like crazy, (this explains the 3 700R4's I went through in a year and a half).

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to swap to rear discs after changing fluid and bleeding the system thoroughly. Also, if money isn't a factor (okay, I'm awake now), Stillen could probably hook you up with Brembo or Baer brakes for the front--picture your face on the windshield, that's how good they work.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. River

River 1/2 ton status

It`s even worse with my gearing 2.73 and overdrive th700r4 i hardly use the overdrive because i now it will kill my tranny.

River

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

OUCH...I thought I thought my truck had it bad. Sorry to hear that River. I'm sure you've dropped at least one haven't ya?

13. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If the combination of high gears and overdrive destroy the 700 then why would GM make them. Why does this destroy the transmission? Just courious.