Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes a groanin'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup just like the title said, my brakes are groaning. More specifically the front driver side is making all the noise and it can be a little intermintant. I had brake pads replaced last year.

So, WFT is going on?

2. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

100% sure its the brake?

(91 k5)i got to find out a water pump going out can groan too when your coming to a stop(i thought it was my pass side front brake making some noise, since it was only making noise coming to a stop)

water pump replaced, no more noise
    is the water pump steaming/leaking?

my $0.02 aka just throwing out ideas

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No nothing wrong with the water pump, I hope... :dunno:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Blame mother nature!!...

My trucks have all been having "grabby rear brake" syndrome since the monsoon season started 2 months ago--seems like the rear drums rust up when sitting overnight in damp humid conditions,and the first time I hit the brakes when leaving my driveway,no matter how lightly I apply the brakes,the rear wheels chatter and lock up instantly..after few stops,everything is normal again!..I've pulled the drums off to make sure no gear oil was on the shoes,but they were dry,and had plenty of meat on them..

Your front brake woes are probably due to the weather too..rotors rust instantly overnight,and the rust gets imbedded into the pads..maybe the shims (if any) wore thru on that side,and is letting vibrations from the pads get transferred to the calipers..I use "Disc Brake Quiet" paste on the back of the pads,to glue them to the caliper and its piston..I've used several layers of duct tape in a pinch,and I think it works as good as the disc brake goop!.